Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Mon May 6, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Tucson or Phoenix for Gays?
Where to move to: Tucson or Phoenix for Gays?

- Post Reply -
Page << 1 [2]

midtownblue
msg: 6

Tue, Nov 21, 2006, 7:05am

Hi, guys!

I just returned from my job interview in Tucson, and it looks like I'll have a decision to make after all. I was pretty impressed with the acceptance of gays, although people were just a little too obvious about touting the openness of the town (I think they were trying their Hetero best to convince me to move). I heard repeatedly that Tucson isn't great for singles unless you're a college student, but that it's a great place for gay couples.

I spent a couple of days looking at housing, mostly in the foothills. I really liked it, but I would appreciate some HONEST advice about how bad the snake and scorpion situation is. Is it enough of a problem that I should say in the east? I don't know if people were trying to scare me or if their advice simply backfired, but I came away not sure why someone would want to get out of bed and not know what they're going to step on! Some honest advice, please...!

I was very surprised that I liked the scenery and architecture. I'm a big-city guy, and I thought it would feel very removed from civilization. Not at all... The biggest problem, as far as I can tell, is that the town isn't well-connected by air just yet (not too many long-distance, non-stop flights at reasonable prices). The laid-back feel was quite comfortable. (Oh -- and is there a fat, ugly man in Tucson? I sure didn't see him!!!)

So, aside from snakes and scorpions, I'm ready to move. What do you think I should do?

Thanks!
Gary85741
msg: 7

Wed, Nov 22, 2006, 5:58am

You have the same concern I did before I moved to Tucson--attack of the critters! The more I read on the internet, the more apprehensive I became. I thought I'd have to check shoes and clothes each time I put them on, wondered if my cat would be stung by a scorpion, had visions of scorpions falling off the ceiling onto me while I slept, and having to watch each step outside for rattlers at every turn.
I live in the Northwest area (between Ina and Magee Roads.) I have never seen either a scorpion or rattler either inside or out. If your residence is properly sealed (without gaping cracks, broken screens, etc.) then there's no way the offending trespassers can gain entry. But check out the place's condition before you rent or buy. Scorpions can gain access through a width of a credit card. So loose screens etc. need to be tight.
The only thing I have in the summer are occasional little lizards either outside or lounging on my patio. They are scared of humans and will dart off. Sometimes at night I can hear howling coyotes, but they're off at a distance.

What, then, should you do? Best advice is to net it out on paper, pros and cons. Then add a healthy dose of intuition, and you've got your answer (or as close to one as can be had.) That's what I did.

Gary
midtownblue
msg: 8

Tue, Nov 28, 2006, 4:19am

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens. I may get an offer as early as this week, although that's probably a bit optimistic. Take care!
FLtoAZ
msg: 9

Sun, Dec 17, 2006, 12:10am

Hey guys, thanks for all your messages. I've enjoyed reading them. midtownblue - I'm in atlanta now on business. I think you will enjoy the change, I know I wouldn't hesitate to move to Tucson from the South. I wouldn't worry too much about the critters. To be honest I think you're worrying too much about something you may never see. You do hear a lot of stories, but I spent alot of time out in the desert; just look where you step if you're outside the city, and you'll be fine. I hiked a lot and even then rarely saw anything. Hope it all works out for you!
FLtoAZ

Page << 1 [2]

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map