Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Fri Apr 26, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Tucson or Phoenix for Gays?
Where to move to: Tucson or Phoenix for Gays?

- Post Reply -
Page [1] 2 >>

FLtoAZ
msg: 1

Tue, Sep 26, 2006, 6:45pm

Hi Folks,

Great website this is. I just stumbled on it recently. I'm moving to AZ later this year. Used to live out in Southern Cal in the past, but now live in FL. Used to spend quite a bit of time in AZ years ago and loved it! My dilemna? Where to move to - Phoenix or Tucson? Does anyone here have any insight to the Gay life in either city and how they compare? If you could share your experiences, that would be great. You don't have to limit it to Gay life either, I'd enjoy hearing the comparisions betweeen Phoenix and Tucson, expecially in regards to crime, housing, traffic and things to do?? Also, I'm pretty familiar with the Gay climate in Phoenix and it's pretty cool, but what about Tucson??

Thanks and looking forward to your responses...

Frank
FLtoAZ
rdubya
msg: 2

Wed, Sep 27, 2006, 7:48pm

I'm hoping you stumble into my bedroom in Tucson you big sexy man
midtownblue
msg: 3

Wed, Oct 11, 2006, 3:46am

Hi -- would love to hear what you find out. I'm looking to move from Atlanta to Tucson. I'm originally from the northeast, so Atlanta'w weather seems very warm. I can't imagine how hot Tucson must be! But, it may hold the best job for me, so it's worth a serious look. Part of the reason for leaving ATL is that my job is all-consuming and I have no time for a social life, despite the huge number of gays living in my neighborhood. My question is similar to yours: is there enough of a gay presence in Tucson for an outsider to build a solid social life? Thanks!
FLtoAZ
msg: 4

Mon, Oct 23, 2006, 7:41pm

thanks rdubya! I may just do that.

and midtownblue, I'll let you know if i find anything out, so far I have not. I know Phoenix has a huge gay population and is very friendly. From what I hear Tucson's is quite small (especially compared to ATL) but it's still a nice progressive comfortable town, and growing. no doubt it's a change from florida or ATL. PS I'll be in buckhead in december...
:-)
Gary85741
msg: 5

Sun, Nov 12, 2006, 8:09am

I moved to Tucson from No. Virginia two years ago. I never looked into Phoenix really when I was contemplating moving, because being a much larger city than Tucson, I figured the cost-of-living would be higher.

Though I'm not into the gay scene here much, Tucson is a gay-friendly city. There are five or six gay bars here. I believe it's the only jurisdiction in Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

which has a domestic partnership registry. As an aside, I'm HIV+ and receive the best medical care here I've ever experienced. There's definitely support here for those in my situation.

Tucson's cost-of-living (rents/housing) is pretty low compared to a lot of other areas in the country. State income tax is likewise low.

As to the climate: Well everyone says it's a dry heat. This is untrue during our so-called monsoon
Monsoon(mo'n-SOON)

A season in Arizona of high winds and moisture, normally during July, August, and September. The Arizona Monsoon begins officially after the third consecutive day of the dew point reaching 55 degrees or higher, indicating higher humidity. During the monsoon, dust storms are typical, and rainfall is increased, causing flash floods.

(summer thunderstorm) season. The humidity ramps up and it's uncomfortable (well to me anyway) June through September. I think we usually experience thirty days over 100 each summer. The winters are mild...in January highs seem to be in the upper-60s and it can get down to freezing occasionally at night.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Gary

Page [1] 2 >>

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map