Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

    Sign In

Thu Dec 8, 2022


Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Information to help with move to Tucson

- Post Reply -

msg: 1

Mon, May 17, 2004, 9:26am

Hi, this is a great websight...thanks for all the information that I've gained so far.
I was wondering if anyone can help me find out what we need to be able to move to Tucson. We're presenting living in Canada, but we're British Citizens, after 27 years of living in Canada we never bothered with getting our citizenships.
Sorry this is so jumbled, but we honestly don't know where to start. We've searched the 'Immigration and Naturalization Service' sight...only to be going around and around in circles! We even visited the Immigration office while we were visiting Tucson and they gave us an I-140 and I -129 forms, but these are for empolyers to fill in and sponsor my husband. My husband will need to work when we get here, but we don't think that will be a major problem of getting a's the getting here that seems to be the stumbling block...arrrggghhh...we don't know where to start! Do we need a visa? What kind of Visa? Or do we need a work permit? Can this be done outside of the U.S.A. or do we just take the plunge and come? What about spouse and do they enter the U.S.A.?
Can anyone help this confused "wanna be in Tucson so bad" person out? :~)
msg: 2

Mon, May 17, 2004, 9:39am


To gain permanent residency in the US, you'd need to meet one of the qualifications. Usually, these are difficult to meet, because you either need to be brought in by a relative (spouse, parent or child) that is a US citizen, or be born here. So if you were married to a US citizen, or if your children were born here, then you would be all set.

For permanent residency, there are a couple of other possibilities that people who are not related to a US citizen can do. For instance, if you run and maintain an incorporated business in Canada, and have been doing so for two years, you can acquire a visa that you can use to move to the US to start another business (your Canadian company must continue to propser in your absence). Once you've been here for a period of time (four or five years), you qualify for applying for a green card (which is the next best thing to citizenship, it's permenent residency and must only be renewed once every ten years). You also have this potential if you're highly educated and want to put your skills to use in the US, like a doctor.

Gaining temporary residency is easier, because there are more qualifications that you can meet. For instance, you can apply for a visa to attend school while here. Unfortunately, this particular visa does not allow you to work, and expires at the end of school. You can also apply for a work visa, and this would usually happen if you work for a company in Canada, and they want to transfer you to one of their offices in the US. Or if a company in the US is looking for a person to hire and they cannot find that person in the US, then they can seek potentials employees in others countries, and you could move here with that.

The problem with temporary visas is that they have to be renewed often (usually annually) and they often cannot be renewed beyond a certain term.

If you're retired, you may want to consider living in the US during the cooler six months of the year, and in Canada for warmer six months. We have lots of these people in Arizona

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

-- We call them snowbirds.

Naturalization services also has a toll-free number that you can call to ask questions. Let them know what your situation is and ask them what the possibilities are. You may also want to consider speaking with an attorney.

I hope some of that was helpful!
msg: 3

Mon, May 17, 2004, 3:53pm

Hi Nick,
Extremely helpful, and a very fast reply...thank you so much!

Hubby is looking into a possible transfer throuh his company and hitting as many 'head-hunters' as he can. Wish us luck, as we truly do love have such a beautiful State.



©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map