Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Fri Mar 29, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Northern Arizona Communities Info

- Post Reply -

TBale
msg: 1

Tue, May 22, 2007, 9:58pm

Hello,

My family and I may potentially be relocating to theNorthern Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

area, since work would be in Sedona, we're looking for a family-oriented, liveable, affordable, community within a 30-45 minute commute. Beyond the general information you can gather from city and visitor bureau sponsored web sites, what is the local perceptions of Camp Verde, Cottonwood, and Clarkdale? Crime? Quality of Schools? Is there another community within 30 minutes of Sedona that we should investigate? Thanks in advance for any help.

PS... And like with most potential, paranoid desert transplants, we will have four small children, is there less of scorpion nuisance the further North you go?!

Todd
NickCoons
msg: 2

Wed, May 23, 2007, 8:16am

<Beyond the general information you can gather from city and visitor bureau sponsored web sites, what is the local perceptions of Camp Verde, Cottonwood, and Clarkdale?>

Depends on who you talk to. Sedona, being very expensive, some of the people are a bit "snobby" (not all or even most, just some). I can say this because I have friends in Sedona who are a little like that :-). They have nicknames for those surrounding towns, like "Camp Dirty", and "Rottenwood." That's not to say that this is my feeling about those towns.

There is quite a bit of new development going on in both Camp Verde and Cottonwood. Camp Verde wouldn't be my first choice; at only 3,000 feet in elevation, it's not much cooler than Phoenix in the summer.

<Is there another community within 30 minutes of Sedona that we should investigate? Thanks in advance for any help.>

Cottonwood and Clarkdale are probably good choices. You may also want to check into Cornville, which is on your way from Sedona to Cottonwood.

<PS... And like with most potential, paranoid desert transplants, we will have four small children, is there less of scorpion nuisance the further North you go?!>

Maybe. If you encounter them, it's more likely you'll simply encounter a different kind. Your best bet for avoiding scorpions is to avoid areas where absolutely brand new homes are being developed, because they spread since their habitat is being disturbed.

Generally, scorpions are not much of an issue. I'm a native Arizonan, have lived here my whole life, and have never seen one outside of captivity.
TBale
msg: 3

Wed, May 23, 2007, 10:15pm

Many thanks my friend for the information.

TBale

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map