Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Thu Mar 28, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Arizona info

- Post Reply -
Page [1] 2 >>

lisamarie
msg: 1

Fri, Jan 13, 2006, 11:03am

My girl scout troop is doing their "Thinking Day" project on Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

. What are some facts about Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

people should know. We also need a favorite food,game ,activity etc. to represent Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

. I'd appreciate any input you can provide.
NickCoons
msg: 2

Fri, Jan 13, 2006, 8:04pm

Your best bet would be to look around this site for that information. In fact, on the main menu just to the left, there's a link called Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

Info which probably has many of the facts that you're looking for. Also check in the Features section for some interesting recipes :-).
lisamarie
msg: 3

Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 6:06pm

I have done a lot of research and have found a lot of helpful sights. I appreciate your advice and I thank you for your quick response. I just thought it would be nice to get the opinions of Arizonians about things that they would want people to know about their state.
NickCoons
msg: 4

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 11:16am

Well, if you're looking for that kind of information, then you've come to the right place :-). There is some interesting tidbits that most people don't know, even the ones that live here.

In Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

during the summer, it often reaches into the high 110s and sometimes even into the 120s. However, our humidity is very low. The term, "But it's a DRY heat," was coined because those from more humid areas know that 90 degrees in 100% humidity is much less desirable than 110 degrees with 10% humidity. With more humidity, it becomes increasingly less comfortable.

However, what people don't know is that while lower humidity coupled with higher temperatures may be more comfortable than higher humidity and lower temperatures, it's much more dangerous. Dehydration is a more serious condition than discomfort, and occurs often, seemingly without warning. The symptoms, however, are hard to miss when you know about them: thirst, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and nausea. As you can see, this is much worse then feeling a little discomfort from excess sweat in a higher humidity environment.

Another common unknown is the existance of flash floods
Flash Floods(fla'sh flu'dz)

Because of the low rain and high heat, the desert floor is baked to a thick crust that has difficulty absorbing water. This makes drainage difficult, and causes flash floods. When rains start, especially heavy rains during the monsoon, it is typical for a completely dry area to become flooded in a matter of minutes.

. People are usually well aware that we get very little rain here, being a desert and all. When an area doesn't see much rainfall, the ground becomes hard and resistant to absorbing water. This can easily cause floods when it does rain, because the water has no immediate place to go. A flash flood is when an area floods within about 15 minutes of seeing heavy rain. Areas that are prone to this are normally labeled with signs along the road.

I can't really think of any Arizona-specific games; we like to play horseshoes though when we go camping :-).

Hope some of this helps.
lisamarie
msg: 5

Tue, Jan 24, 2006, 6:35am

This does help. I hear Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

is in a drought right now, so it is hard to imagine you would experience flash floods
Flash Floods(fla'sh flu'dz)

Because of the low rain and high heat, the desert floor is baked to a thick crust that has difficulty absorbing water. This makes drainage difficult, and causes flash floods. When rains start, especially heavy rains during the monsoon, it is typical for a completely dry area to become flooded in a matter of minutes.

. Thank you for your response. If you think of anything else,I'm open for suggestions.

Page [1] 2 >>

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map