Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Thu Apr 18, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Writing a novel set in Arizona

- Post Reply -

The Prissiest Primitivist
msg: 1

Sat, Oct 22, 2005, 8:46pm

Hello,
I'm working on a novel and I recently came up with the idea of setting it in Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

. Could someone from Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

tell me if it's far-fetched at all? And if it's not far-fetched, what would be a realistic area of the state in which to put this town?

- A quaint, small town that is rapidly expanding, much of it turning into a gentrified, middle to upper-middle class suburb of no city in particular
- Expansion threatens the mom-'n-pop stores in the area
- Looks like every suburb in America - no real sign of desert life, just green grass and European/Northeastern trees
- Close to the Navajo reservation
- Considerable evangelical Christian population
NickCoons
msg: 2

Sun, Oct 23, 2005, 12:08am

I think a novel set in Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

sounds great. I've often thought of doing this, and am very interested to see what something like this would look like.

The Navajo reservation is in Northeastern Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

, which is all high desert. Not much green, but lots of interesting desert formations. That could make it difficult to find a town in that area with "no real signs of desert." However if you're building a town, or expanding an existing one, I suppose you could plant any type of vegetation that you wanted.

The only one I can think of that might fit the bill would be Holbrook. The population is currently somewhere around 5,000.
The Prissiest Primitivist
msg: 3

Sun, Oct 23, 2005, 9:07am

As long as it's theoretically possible, that's all I need. ;-) Thanks!

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map