Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Tue Apr 16, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Flagstaff: spiders and other pests
i need to know what im getting into

- Post Reply -

LPgirl
msg: 1

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 11:04pm

I am planning to relocate to Flagstaff at the end of August. With my acute arachnophobia, I would like a heads-up on the spider situation there from someone who knows. How frequently are they seen indoors, and what do they look like? I'm from Sacramento, CA, and the largest spider I've seen would be about 3/4". For me, that is about 3/4 of an inch too big. I asked someone at the tourism office about spiders there, and she said that they are sparse because of the high altitude and cooler weather. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
FlagDude
msg: 2

Fri, Aug 26, 2005, 11:26am

Hi LPgirl,

Spider situation is not good. I actually found your post because I am researching these HUGE orange spiders I keep coming across. Anyway, it’s kind of strange, because there are almost no bugs here besides spiders. I can only conclude that the large spider population is keeping the other bugs to a minimum. Flag is a sweet place to live, if you can tolerate the spiders-
sparksals
msg: 3

Mon, Oct 31, 2005, 9:57am

I think Flag Dude is yanking your chain. I never saw any kind of huge spiders there and few bugs. Flagstaff is nothing like hotter climates like Phoenix etc. If you're coming from CA, you won't have the same critters. There's hardly any at all and you certainly don't have to treat your house to prevent them. If you see a spider, it will be a daddy longlegs.
jmarissa2
msg: 4

Tue, Jul 20, 2010, 8:22am

I'm on FlagDude's side: last night was the buggiest (and spideriest) night of my entire life. The one I'm most interested in is the nickel-sized black mamma jamma with the bright yellow markings on its back; but other than that, they appeared to be a couple species of brown spider. Something has been feasting on me while I sleep, so hopefully I offed him/her last night... but I'm going to pick up a pictoral guide of spides & insects in the region.r

Out in the garden, the spider population is reallly diverse. Nothing to worry about & generally very small, but they're brightly colored and kinda fun to watch. I've also been told that tarantulas live around here, generally outside, and exhibit some interesting behaviors during mating season. I'm new in town, so we shall see.

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map