Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Thu Mar 28, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
geological feature

- Post Reply -

joelom
msg: 1

Thu, May 19, 2005, 11:55pm

Hello. I hope somebody can identify something I saw. 30 years ago I was flying over Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

eastward towards Phoenix (or Tuscon, I can't recall which) on my way to San Antonio. Somewhere to the west of the two above named Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

cities I saw a huge bowl shaped mountain range on the ground 5 or 6 miles below us. It looked very symmetrical and the walls of this bowl were very thick, possibly half a mile or so thick since we were high up in the sky. It didn't have water in the middle of it. It's color was brown, I don' recall seeing any vegitation on it. Anybody have any idea what geological feature or range I saw? Thank you for your time.
Adam
msg: 2

Sun, May 22, 2005, 4:58am

Sounds like it could be only one thing. The meteor crater near Winslow.
joelom
msg: 3

Mon, May 30, 2005, 12:36am

Hello Adam, thank you for your reply. No, it's not possible it was meteor crater because we were approximately 100 miles or more to the southwest from there. Also I have seen photo of meteor crater and it didn't look like what I saw. What I saw had elevated sides. It almost looked like a huge round mesa that had the center hollowed out. Thanks again.
AZlady
msg: 4

Fri, Dec 9, 2005, 1:43am

Quite possible it was Sunset Crater, which is a collapsed Volcanoe. Just saw an article in the AZ Highways Magazine.

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map